Spread the word ... Spread The Recipe is all about sharing tried and true family favourites, from my kitchen to your's. Enjoy!!!

January 26, 2012

Address to a Haggis


Burns Supper - Haggis, Neeps and Tatties
I admit it, I didn't recite the Robbie Burns poem when I came face to face with a plate of the Famous Scottish dish ... I was too focused on mustering up enough courage to taste it! 

We went out to Sir John's Public House (pronounced Hoose in Scotland, say it ... it makes you feel Scottish!) last night to celebrate Robbie Burns Day and we were delighted with the food.  I was hesitant to order the four course Burns Supper in the beginning, but I figured I had enough other options to choose from should the Haggis course go terribly wrong! 

The first course was a Scotch Broth soup that was quite lovely and full of flavour.  The perfect soup starter for this hearty meal (no pun intended) that I was about to eat.  The second course was the Haggis .... unfortunately it wasn't piped in but it's arrival at the table didn't need extra fan fair, I was already nervous enough!  So there I was .... Haggis, Neeps and Tatties sitting in front of me .... and you know what?  It wasn't that bad.  Since it's cooked with seasoning and oats it took my mind and my taste buds off of what I was really eating!  The flavour was mild and I actually enjoyed it but didn't splurge on the neeps and tatties as I didn't want to fill up!  Next came the roast beef, more tatties and my fav, Yorkshire Pudding!!!  It was delicious but the meat portion was enormous, I knew I couldn't make it all the way through so I didn't even try.  I had to save room for the Steamed Whisky pudding, it was very sweet but super moist and full of raisins, and currants.  It was no cheesecake but given the meal and the setting, it was perfect!

We had a great night with a couple of pints and a few laughs.  Steve ordered up a Tennents as it's the only pub in Kingston that has it on tap and I stuck with one of our at home favs, Bellhaven.  Both are great Scottish beers that are tops on our list.  Steve's brother Dave stuck with a Keith's which was an ok choice .... it's from Nova Scotia, New Scotland right????  It was a great night, in a great Kingston pub that is full of history, who wouldn't like a Scottish pub named after Canada's first Prime Minister who was a Scot himself?  The pub is even at what used to be Sir John's law office ... talk about history!

A good night was had by all.

No comments:

Post a Comment