Spread the word ... Spread The Recipe is all about sharing tried and true family favourites, from my kitchen to your's. Enjoy!!!

January 15, 2012

Mom's Fluffy Pancakes

I have a confession to make .... for years I have been using a mix to make "homemade" pancakes.  Sad isn't it?  Well on New Year's day I had a break through .... I was out of mix and the boys wanted pancakes so I pulled out my recipe book and whipped up a batch of the biggest and fluffiest pancakes I've had since I was a kid.  The stick to your ribs kind, none of this thin, crepe like business, just like Mom used to make!  I have made them a few more times only because we were so surprised and pleased with the taste and consistency of fresh, unboxed ingredients.  Once I realized I usually have all the ingredients I vowed to boycott the mix forever.

A pancake isn't a "Winkie Pancake" unless it is dressed properly .... it all starts with butter while the pancake is hot and can melt in, sprinkle brown sugar on top right away so it can stick to the melted butter and finally douse the whole thing with Maple Syrup!  Makes your teeth hurt doesn't it?  My dad has an additional variation that includes a layer of raspberry jam, right after the butter and before the brown sugar.  It's not my preference but I guess it isn't any better or worse then my favourite!

Don't scrimp on size .... these flap jacks should fill your plate!


Ingredients
1 1/3 cups of all purpose flour
3 tsp of baking powder
1/2 tsp of salt
3 tbsp of sugar
1 egg
1 1/4 cup of milk
3 tbsp of melted butter or vegetable oil
1/4 tsp of vanilla

Stir all dry ingredients together into a bowl 
In a separate bowl, beat egg and add milk
Make a well in the dry mixture and slowly add the egg/milk mixture
Add melted butter and vanilla
Stir quickly until ingredients are just mixed and the batter is still lumpy ... over mixing leaves you flat, mix just enough and you will have lovely, fluffy pancakes!

Don't forget the bacon and brown sugar .... enjoy!!!

1 comment:

  1. Mmm your pancakes look absolutely delicious, you can never go wrong with mom's recipes! Fabulous blog you have, so glad to be a new follower! xoxo

    ReplyDelete