Spread the word ... Spread The Recipe is all about sharing tried and true family favourites, from my kitchen to your's. Enjoy!!!

January 24, 2012

Cuckoo for Coconut Oil!!!!!!!

I am comfortable enough in my own coconut oiled skin to admit that I am in love and slightly obsessed with this all natural ingredient.  I started reading up on it a couple of years ago but didn't end up trying it for one reason or another and I am so sorry I waited this long!  My best piece of advice ... don't wait!  Coconut Oil is the perfect addition to your pantry, your bag of diet tricks and your medicine cabinet.  I saw this brand on my friend's facebook page and went right out to buy it once I read it was available at the Bulk Barn, we only live two minutes from a local Bulk Barn so I had no excuse!

The list of uses for Coconut Oil is endless but what jumped at me was that its a treatment for eczema and psoriasis.  It's anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory properties make it an excellent topical treatment.  My son has a patch on his scalp that looks and acts like psoriasis but doctors have yet to call it that.  He's been on a steroid scalp lotion for 9 months with no improvement, 3 days of coconut oil applications once at bedtime and it's almost gone!  Now I use the word "gone" loosely because I realize you don't get rid of psoriasis, but if this is any indication of how we can control it with an all natural product, then sign me up!

Other uses for Coconut oil include an all over skin conditioner, hair conditioner, lip balm, makeup remover, treatment for cuts and scrapes ... you can even make a toothpaste out of it ... but I can't vouch for that one! 

Coconut Oil is a perfect cooking oil because it's smoking point is very high unlike that of Olive Oil, not to mention it has a fabulous taste that bumps up any dish.  I melt a little in the microwave and add it to my already blended smoothie for a delish morning kick start.  Including it in your diet helps skin and hair conditions from the inside as well as being appetite suppressant and a solution for acid reflux sufferers.


Is there anything this oil can't do??? If so, I don't want to know.  I am perfectly happy in my current coconut state of bliss! 

1 comment:

  1. Yes! My family has been using coconut oil for the past few months and we have noticed a totally difference in our digestion and especially in my 18 month olds skin. She has horrible eczema and we have been treating her with it orally and topically. Really is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete